At breakfast the girls get to choose from several preset options (listed below). Sometimes they eat the same thing, sometimes they each pick something different. Once in awhile they'll pick two things off the list. When that happens it's usually like yogurt and toast. Tim and I eat don't really eat breakfast. Yes, I know we should. The girls have eat their breakfast in order to get their morning snack.
- Apple slices with peanut butter
- French toast
- Toast with peanut butter, jelly and/or butter
Fruit is usually our go to snack. The girls love, love, love fresh fruit. But sometimes they'll ask for something like crackers, yogurt, or a granola bar if I have any made.
Lunch is almost always up to the girls. They're pretty predictable though. Usually they want mac & cheese, PB&J sandwich, ham & cheese sandwich, or pancakes. They also get a couple other sides like chips, pretzels, fruit, yogurt, applesauce, cookie. The sides just sort of depend on what I have on hand.
Tim packs a lunch for work every day—this is always a habit that save us a lot of money. He'll usually pack leftovers or a sandwich, chips, apple, yogurt. Sometimes other stuff depending on what we have on hand. I usually eat leftovers, a sandwich or chips and cheese with salsa.
Their afternoon snack is more along the lines of pretzels and peanut butter, crackers or a cookie.
Up until this point in the day what the girls eat is pretty much up to them. But dinner is different—it's is always at mom's discretion. Our dinner table rule is you have to try one bite of everything, before you can have more of anything. Of course we have our favorites, but overall I feel like we eat a nice variety of foods.
- Sunday: I didn't cook, we were at Gatlyn's 4th birthday party!
- Monday: Spinach Mushroom Orzo with garlic bread
- Tuesday: Tim ate chips and cheese. The girls and I went to the varsity volleyball game, we ate popcorn, pretzels and gold fish. Pretty sure I won mom of the year in their minds that night. ;)
- Wednesday: Creamy chicken and corn chowder with cornbread
- Thursday: Wet burritos with tortilla chips
- Friday: Bowtie pasta with hearty marinara (I wasn't home for dinner that night, so I fixed something before I left. That's why we didn't our usual Friday Night Pizza Night.)
- Saturday: Salami and pepperoni roll, chips with spinach dip and Creamy Bacon Jalapeno Dip
Hopefully this meal breakdown is helpful to those of you who are thinking about reducing your food spending, but are nervous you won't get to eat any yummy meals.